You don't belong here...

I am not like most people. Probably I'm not like you. I have a compulsion, a need, a desire. I have done horrible things. And I'll do them again.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Funeral

The morning of Nina's funeral was wet and unseasonably cool. I was still bruised and limping along with the help of crutches. I probably could have made due with a small cane, but it never hurt to play up one's injuries.

As funerals go, it was fine. Probably the most interesting thing that happened was meeting Nina's sister, Mina. She was about fifteen years old at most, dressed in a long black dress of something reminding me of silk. She was the spitting image of Nina, only younger and a bit more goth. She caught me staring at her, and nodded in my direction. I could tell she knew who I was, and that I had dated her sister. Had been in the car with her, as the story went.

I couldn't help but wonder if, with a bit of coaching, Mina could take her sister's place in my life.